Monday, July 10, 2006

Baby Play...Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?

A red bird.


A yellow duck.
A blue horse. A green frog.
A purple cat.

a white dog and a goldfish that's what I see.

This project was a big first for me. It was a make due with what you have project. In the past in order to make a craft or new toy it has required a trip to the store for supplies. This time I made due with what I had. The first ones I made yellow duck, purple cat, green frog and white dog all came out of my fabric box to make diapers. They are MM micro fleece, Alova suede, and sherpa. I didn't have all the colors needed to make all the animals so after looking around the house I found DS had several red shirts and DH had a blue shirt. YUP they are now a red bird and blue horse. I found an old black hand towel for the black sheep. My goldfish was one of our holiday cloth napkins. I am now one napkin short of having a large Christmas dinner. It had a red juice spot on the corner of it so it was no longer good for a nice dinner anyway. I am still searching the house for a brown bear. I stuffed them with rice because I had a bag already. I used a sharpie marker to draw on them. You could stuff with cotton balls, pillow fluff, old fabric, socks, beans, or whatever you have. I used the coloring pages on www.dltk-teach.com for my outlines on most of them. I don't care for the dog but he will be OK for right now. I would like the yellow duck to be a darker shade of yellow but he's done for now. I will add in the black sheep, Teacher, children, and brown bear soon as I get them done.

I did get a chance to get some more done. This is my black sheep. It didn't show up good in the picture.This is my teacher. Please don't laugh! I never said I could draw. I didn't sew it or stuff it with rice yet because I thought it would show up better in a picture flat on the table. I used fabric pens to draw her.

This is the children. I know they are not the best looking but they will work. I don't have them full of rice yet. I plan on doing that later today.

This is our brown bear for now. We already had him so I am using him until I have the time to sew one up. I will add a picture of my brown bear soon as I get one done.
I have to say that I never would have been happy with this set when my son was little. I would have wanted one to be exactly like the book. I would have spent tons of time and money making them up the way I thought they should be. I don't look at things the same way now. I don't have the time or money to do things the way I once thought things needed to be. This set didn't cost any money to make. I didn't spend much time on it. It is a great sensory toy for DD. She can touch so many different fabrics this way. I will get around to making up a brown bear. I doubt I will waste my time making them look more like the book. We have lots of favorite books in our house. I would rather spend my free time adding toys for some of them.

No comments: