Friday, August 10, 2012

One week down!

I'm at the one week mark!   I spent $150 on food one week ago.   I have lots of food still in the house.  I hope to keep out out of the store this week.  I'm worried I might not make it on coffee but I'm going to try.

Meals today were almost no food cost at all.  The girls had dance class early this morning.  Travis and I did Zumba class.   The kids didn't have much time to eat (it takes a long time to get 2 girls in dance clothes and hair pinned up).  I tossed some dry cereal in baggies and let them eat in the car on the way to dance.  After dance was my family reunion.  I didn't know what to take for a meal!   After all, when I started this food order I didn't plan for a large dish to pass!   Saturday morning I turned on my computer and saw fresh made cucumber salad in an advertisement from a local grocery store.   I thought hmmm... that looks good.  I then realized  I would need cucumbers to make it.    A few minutes later I thought about how most summers my MIL is trying to get me to take cucumbers home because he garden grows like crazy.   I must admit I've never asked anyone for food before!   I gave my MIL a call (feeling a bit uncomfortable about asking but hoping she had too many cucumbers to eat).  I said hello and then asked her what she was doing.  The first words out of her mouth were I'm going to see a friend downtown she is giving me a pile of cucumbers so if you need any cucumbers I'll have lots later today.   I was SHOCKED!  I hadn't even asked her for cucumbers yet!  I then told her I was calling to see if she had any cucumbers and dill.  She laughed and said stop over later she'd have lots of cucumbers and she has TONS of dill growing in her garden.   WHAT A BLESSING!  It was perfect!  So for lunch today we took a large dish of cucumber salad and jello cups.  We ate picking from all the choices (large family= oodles of choices for lunch). 



For snacks they had cookies and candy.  I was in charge of games at the reunion.  Here's Travis sucking candy up with a straw to move it into a cup.  Another game I had them put a cookie on forhead and try to get it down into mouth.  Game time was snack time for the family today. 


My mom sent me home with her leftover desert (my kids were thrilled).   After the reunion we went to a birthday party.  She had oodles of food (and some things you might not call food).   BBQ sandwiches,  hot dogs, popcorn, ices, and crickets.  The party had a backyard safari theme so she bought roasted sour cream and onion flavored crickets.  I personally skipped the crickets but I did eat a BBQ sandwich.

Here's a photo of my son eating a cricket. EWWW! 



At the end of the day I had more food in my house than I had yesterday!  I wasn't trying to do that but in the end thanks to my mom and my mother in law that is how it turned out (it's so nice to have parents).

No comments: