Thursday, January 10, 2008

#9 resolution DONE!

For my birthday my children got me a set of size 3 double pointed needles. They gave me them so I could make socks. This is the funny part.... I can't knit never mind make socks! I only know how to do a simple knit stitch (I'm a very beginner knitter). My hands feel awkward with normal knitting needles (2 sticks). The thought of using 4 all at the same time with points on each end sticking out all over SCARED me! I try to be thankful for everything I have and put things to good use so I decided (felt obligated) to give them a try. I found some directions online with lots of pictures and everything in words I could understand (not a k2 p2 yo code) and I gave it an honest try. I first made a cuff but instead of making it 8 inches long I made it 2 inches because I felt like I had the hang of the cuff and wanted to see how hard the rest of the sock would be to make. Turning the heal (part I was most afraid to do) was easy and FUN! I enjoyed it. I then knitted along making the foot but decided to make a short foot and move ahead to see how hard making the toe of the sock would be. It all went very smoothly. Even sewing the toe shut was simple. Making a sock was fun and easy. I am a very slow knitter so it did take me time but only a few days of on and off knitting. My knitting improved a lot from doing this one sock. It is just one sock (no mate) and it is about the length to fit a four year old. My 2 year old is having fun wearing it and using it as a toy. LOL I am planning on making real socks now. Ones with mates that will fit on adult feet. My new year's resolution # 9 is to learn a new skill and I think learning to knit a sock counts as a new skill. I am very proud of my tiny sock.

2 comments:

Rockin' Moroccan Mama said...

Well done!I can barely sew.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am so impressed! I decided that I wanted to learn to knit and crochet. A friend taught me to crochet and I am working on a blanket. But knitting a sock sounds frighteningly complicated. Good for you!