Thursday, April 03, 2008

Green! #1

I want to live a greener life! I have been thinking about all the BIG WAYS to go green for the last few months. Big ideas like adding a wind turbine to our back yard. I know that must sound crazy to some people but I want one and I think the place I live is a perfect place for one. We are a kind of high up on a mountain and we have over 15 acres of land. I hope to talk my hubby into wind power this year. I saw a show on TV the other night and it showed small ways to go green. After watching the show I realized that I am a lot greener than I thought I was. I have a long way to go still but I am proud of the steps my family has taken. The funny thing is most of the "green" things my family does had nothing to do with wanting to be green.

The first green thing we did was we changed all our light bulbs. I can't take the credit for that change in our house. Rob took a job with Lowe's six years ago. He worked in the electrical/lighting department. On days he didn't take a packed lunch he would make a purchase at lunch time using his check card and use the cash back button for cash to buy lunch (food from sausage vendor or candy/food machines). He thought buying light bulbs was a good purchase (cheap and something we use). At one point we had over 15 EXTRA light bulbs stacked on a shelf. I had to tell him to stop buying light bulbs
because I didn't have room to store them. Thanks to my hubby forgetting to take a lunch and having a love for sausage sandwiches our light bulbs all got changed in the first few months he worked for the company. We didn't do it to live greener. I think my hubby did it to save money on the electric and to have a way to eat sausage.

I will write more things this month on the green and dreams of more green in my house another day.




1 comment:

Gottfredsen said...

I am trying to go greener around here to. It just makes alot more sense I think, that is to try and leave the earth a little better than we found it. I can not wait to read more of your ideas. I hope that you get to do the wind power that would be really neat.