Monday, April 07, 2008

Letter A

What do we say when we see two BIG SCARY "A" MONSTERS???


AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Ahhhh! AHHHHHHHHHH! Run away from the two, big, and scary "A" monsters!

Working on the letter A I came up with the idea to make a letter A monster mask. I thought Demi would have fun remembering the A sound by scarring me into saying "ah" (a sound) with her "A" monster mask.

I took an empty cereal box and I cut it into a square (Demi wanted her monster to have a square face). I like to find fun ways to reuse our food boxes once we empty them.


I cut out eyes and put a letter a in the center for a nose (an A monster needed to have an A on it). I gave her some triangles (wallpaper scraps), yarn pieces, cap of glue, and a paintbrush. I let her decorate her A monster however she wanted.



Travis didn't like the idea of making a silly mask or a letter A. After all, an eight year old boy would never want to join in with that kind of baby stuff. Once he heard Demi and I talking about making a scary furry monster Travis came running and said he might want to make his own monster. He didn't think Demi was making hers look scary enough. At first he said he might need to make one to show her how to make a real scary mask. He said 2 year olds don't know how to make things scary like 8 year olds do. He then pointed out how he HAD to make one but it was ONLY so his sister could see that a monster with a big A nose makes the same sound as one with a little a nose (my children are so cute).
This is a close up of Demi's before she got it finished. Look at the sharp triangle teeth!

Here is a close up of Travis's before he finished. LOOK at all the scary fur on this monster!
Travis put a big A nose on his mask. Then we put jumbo pop sticks on the bottom to finish them.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! They scared me again!! Aren't they very scary?

4 comments:

Evenspor said...

What a great idea. We are doing the letter "A" right now too, so I may have to steal it.

Gottfredsen said...

I may have to steal this idea to. Gabe knows his sounds but sometimes just does not want to try. This might be a fun way for him to work at it. Thanks for the great idea.

Garden State Kate said...

Great idea as always Amber..oh how I miss you when you are busy!

Amber (Bouncing Buttons) said...

Evenspor. Thanks for stopping by to visit my tiny often neglected corner of the web. I hope your children have as much fun as mine did running around scarring me into saying the A sound.

Heather, I can picture Gabe making monster masks. I bet he would make a very scary monster.

Kate, I miss you so much! I am always wondering what you and your daughter are doing. I feel bad when I fall behind and don't have time to go all the way back to see all the fun things you have shared on your blog. I am alway so jealous of your wonderful blog. I aim to be a blogger like you someday. I am sure my family that lives out of state would love it if I could share as much as you do!