Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Messy Art.

Tuesday was full of sticky, sweet, fun.

I looked for a recipe to make face paint. I liked the idea of using all food ingredients so I decided to give this a try.

Facepaint Recipe


3 tblsps. Cornstarch

1 tblsp. Flour

3/4 cup Karo light corn syrup

1/4 cup water

½ tsp. Liquid food coloring

Mix cornstarch and flour together in a bowl. Gradually stir in Karo syrup and water until smooth. Divide mixture into individual containers as needed and tint each one with the food coloring of your choice. Leave one batch untinted.

My children are calling it candy paint. LOL!

It was sticky, gooey, colorful, messy, tasty,and lots of fun.


I found this link that gives directions on face painting. I decided to give it a try.

Demi wanted to be a butterfly.

Travis wanted Spider-man.




I didn't think I needed to take my computer out on the porch with me. I was sure I would remember how to paint them without the instructions. I did my best from what I remembered but now that I looked back at the instructions I see I could have done a lot better if I would have looked at the instructions when I was painting. My children think I did a perfect job so I guess that is all that matters.

The picture below shows my son's expression after he got to see himself.
That smile says it all!


After I finished painting faces. I put the paints on a tray and I let them paint fingers, toes, arms, and legs.
I know the recipe made from cold cream works a lot better. Store bought face paints also work nice. If I was to do it all over again (probably will tomorrow) I would still use the sticky "candy paint". My children had so much fun and I didn't have to worry about Demi trying to taste it or it running down her face in the humid weather. I was able to relax and have fun with my children. I guess for us it isn't how nice things turn out is more about the fun we have doing it.

They spent over an hour painting themselves.

Zee hung out in the swing. She gave Travis and Demi some strange looks.






I'm sure anyone who knows my children can picture Demi dancing around the yard singing she is is butterfly. Demi is our performer. Today Travis did a spontaneous performance himself. After he told me how he painted arms and legs to look like serious bruises, scars, and open wounds he went in the yard and did some pretend suffering and dropped to the ground. Poor spider man he didn't make it. This is so unlike my son. I loved watching it! I hope he puts on another performance for me soon.
Clean up!
I didn't need to clean up or ask the children to help. They asked me to get back in the pool to play.

Pool play cleaned my children up.
I guess you could say cleaning up was just as fun as getting messy. We are loving our summer!

2 comments:

Rockin' Moroccan Mama said...

I wish I had space to do that kind of a clean up. I have to try the face paint on my kids. Both of them would love it

Garden State Kate said...

Now that is our kind of day!!
;-) P would have had so much fun joining in on butterfly and spidey dramas! lol