Thursday, January 04, 2007

Chemistry

OK, I started thinking that I was putting lots of my DD's school and not enough of my son. I plan to keep a balance showing my DD's school, my DS's school, crafts, play time, games we make,and our challenges with homeschooling. Teaching this week will be easy for me I doubt we will have many challenges. My hubby is on vacation. He helps with teaching school and keeping our little one busy. I should have extra time to snap pictures of our day over the next week.

Today I got around to doing something I have wanted to do for a long time. It was a kitchen chemistry set. We are doing chemistry this year (at an elementary level). We have been using several books to give us experiments. It has been a lot of fun. I noticed an online friend (AmySue)lets her children come up with a lot of science experiments themselves. Once I saw a few pictures of it I wanted to give my son the same fun. I think it was 2 months ago she inspired me to do it and I only got around to doing it today. LOL! I knew my son wouldn't know what he would like to use so I helped him pick out his supplies. The only things my son asked for was vanilla, vinegar, and baking soda. I used an ice cube tray to make his chemistry set. I gave him antacid tablets, red water, blue water, yellow water, vinegar, oil, coffee creamer, baking soda, flour, salt, green water, and vanilla. I gave him a dish to dump out his stuff when he was done. He had a measuring spoon and a dropper.

We used our test tube set we have had for years but cups or bottles would work just as well. I gave him some chop sticks to mix the stuff in the bottom of the tubes and a cup of water. He enjoyed it a lot!



















No comments: